Re: Python question: Dealing with epylog

On 1.7.2018 23:14, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On 1 July 2018 at 15:38, Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 1.7.2018 21:03, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

Epylog is a python27 program and I have not had the time to convert it
to python3 and won't until later this fall. As I don't want this to be
a FTBFS during rebuilds.. I see the following:

1. Retire it in rawhide
2. Make it a python27 module?

I am looking for advise on which people would recommend.
Thank you

Why would it FTBFS?

Yeah.. sorry.. what is the term for "Is packaged up but needs a python
which we deprecated/stopped supporting?"

Well so far the only thing that happens is that the current maintainers will orphan the python2 package. What happens next is, well.. unknown yet. Looking into porting stuff to python3 is a good idea, however I don't understand what would be the benefit of putting python2 in a module. Somebody would still need to maintain in.

Also, as advertised before we are willing to support some kind of python2 package needed by applications, what we want to get rid of are unneeded libraries - ideally we would only keep the stuff that's needed.

There are 722 packages that build python2 subpackages for no good. I expect if removed, others get unblocked. Not counting python2 only packages with modules that nothing depends on.

--
Miro Hrončok