Re: F29 System Wide Change: Modules for Everyone

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 4:12 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 03:59:06PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > No.  A hybrid repository is a repository that has both regular RPMs
> > and modules, with repo metadata that describes both.  It avoids having
> > a separate repository for each and allows a natural transition from
> > normal RPM to modules without users having to go hunt for their
> > content as it migrates.  There are other benefits to it, but it's
> > basically an end user simplification.
>
> If I have both repositories enabled, why would I have to hunt?

If you have both repositories always enabled, why do you need two
repositories?  If you don't have them always enabled, off you go
hunting.

If we believe modularity to be a technology that we can really
leverage and start making a fundamental piece of how Fedora is built
and offered, why would we want to segregate modules to their own
repository?  What does it buy you?  How do those advantages outweigh
the perception that modules are different and scary and need to be
separated from the rest of what is Fedora?

FWIW, I'm not insisting we have a hybrid approach.  However, I think
over time it's actually going to cause more problems for Fedora and
other producers and consumers of modules if they remain separated.

josh