Re: F29 Self Contained Change: Origin 3.10

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:07 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 8:02 AM Jan Kurik <jkurik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> = Proposed Self Contained Change: Origin 3.10 =
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/origin3.10
>>

>> Owner(s):
>>   * Jakub Čajka <jcajka at redhat dot com>
>>

>> Rebase of the Openshift Origin package to the latest upstream version,
>> along with introduction of necessary infrastructure container images.
>>

>> == Detailed description ==
>> Rebase of the Origin package to the latest upstream release. To note
>> upgrade path from previous version (3.9) will not be covered by this
>> change(dnf update origin, will most certainly be unable to cleanly
>> update Origin cluster), any one interested in helping out with the
>> supportable update path please reach out to the change owner or any
>> origin maintainer. Upstream provided update ansible playbooks are
>> located at https://github.com/openshift/openshift-ansible/tree/master/playbooks/byo/openshift-cluster/upgrades
>

> This sounds like a perfect use-case for a module. If `dnf update` cannot be made safe on its own, then it might be best if it wasn't attempted as part of the system upgrade, but was instead made into a module stream that users could switch to at their convenience.

You're making a huge assumption there. These days, I can generally
assume it's a matter of not wanting to try in the first place. And
modules don't improve the UX at all for this. The fact that no one has
attempted to make this a safe upgrade process is irrespective of
whether it's a normal RPM usable by all package managers or a module
that's usable only by DNF.