Re: [X86] Fwd: F29 System Wide Change: i686 Is For x86-64

On 06/18/2018 07:05 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jeff Backus wrote:
>> Hmm.. Yes, we've had discussions within the SIG re: window managers that
>> support i586/i686, and KDE was on the list of WMs that no longer support
>> our target system. Do these patches/hacks only apply to KDE or do they
>> apply to Qt in general?
>
> The absolute worst is QtWebEngine. Chromium dropped support for non-SSE2 x86
> years ago, so I had to cumulatively revert a whole bunch of commits that
> removed runtime SSE2 detection where it was present and added some more
> unconditional SSE2 optimizations. And now V8 (the JavaScript engine that
> Chromium relies on) dropped the x87 backend (i.e., the one using x87 rather
> than SSE2 for floating-point operations, hence working on non-SSE2 x86
> machines) for their JIT entirely (and there is no interpreter-only
> fallback), so I am even stuck trying to port the x87 backend to each new Qt
> branch (which uses a newer Chromium and thus a newer V8). This is a huge
> effort, and nobody outside of Fedora cares about non-SSE2 anymore. Even
> distros that claim to support non-SSE2 hardware just ship QtWebEngine as
> SSE2 only. I haven't seen any other distro even picking up my patch, let
> alone working on it. The Fedora Chromium, V8 and Node.js packagers also do
> not care.

I suspect Firefox may also be sse2-only, at least indirectly from Rust.
I just checked the rustc target spec for i686-unknown-linux-gnu, and by
default it's targeting "pentium4".  There is an i585-unknown-linux-gnu
which targets only "pentium" though.

But Firefox has been building with Rust on all arches for over a year
now, and apparently, nobody has noticed this in practice...