Re: Prioritizing ~/.local/bin over /usr/bin on the PATH

Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. For example, a kiosk mode, where the home directory is wiped each
> login would be made less secure. The profile for the GUI is set at
> login, so writing .bash_profile has no effect on the GUI environment,
> but an attacker able to place files where the user has write
> permission could mask system binaries.

I agree with Zbigniew about this case: The protection fails as soon as
the user opens a terminal window.

> 2. The fact that a proof of concept cannot be provided is not a proof
> that a change you make is secure.

Nobody said it was.

And on the other hand: Somebody claiming that something is insecure, and
claiming to have a proof of concept without showing it, is not a proof
that there actually is a security problem.

> So this repeated insistence on providing a
> proof of concept before a security concern is taken seriously is
> fundamentally wrong, and I would be concerned to see it applied
> elsewhere in Fedora.

I asked for a proof of concept only because Tomasz Kłoczko claimed to
have one. I would otherwise be satisfied with a detailed description of
an attack scenario that can be analyzed to see whether it holds water.
I jumped into this debate because I couldn't stomach all the "It's
insecure because handwaving." and "It's insecure because I've said so
several times.".

Björn Persson