Re: F29 System Wide Change: Make BootLoaderSpec the default

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 8:40 AM, Ondřej Lysoněk <olysonek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I also have a question regarding interoperability with distros which do
> not support BLS. Suppose I install Fedora with BLS enabled and then
> beside that install some distro which doesn't support BLS. The second
> distro will probably install its own bootloader. Will I be able to boot
> Fedora from the bootloader installed by the second OS?

BIOS: no because that distro installer will overwrite the Fedora GRUB,
and the distro installer will not support BLS drop-in scripts because
the format and parsing code are not upstream; so while it will create
a menu entry for the Fedora instance, it will not work.

UEFI: yes. grub-mkconfig + os-prober should discover the Fedora GRUB
instances, and create a chainloader boot entry to execute the Fedora
specific GRUB EFI OSLoader.

Further, since current BLS format doesn't allow pointing to other
devices or partitions, and paths are assumed to only be relative to
$BOOT, any bootloader not on $BOOT must be referenced in the
bootloader's native configuration format rather than by BLS drop in
snippet.

--
Chris Murphy