Re: Prioritizing ~/.local/bin over /usr/bin on the PATH

> On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Björn Persson <Bjorn@rombobjörn.se> wrote:
>> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>> No "browser" sophistication is necessary. The replacement of default
>>> system utilities by anyone who write into that private but
>>> semi-concealed $HOME/.local/bin/
>> And how did the attacker acquire write access to $HOME/.local/bin/ in
>> the first place? Do you know of a way to do that so easily that
>> appending a line to one of the shell startup files seems sophisticated
>> in comparison?
>>
>> I don't much like the proposed change to PATH, but I'm getting *really*
>> sick of all the security by handwaving that's going on in this thread.
>> Could everybody please discuss *relevant* attack scenarios, instead of
>> scenarios that begin with the attacker already having so much access
>> that the value of PATH doesn't matter?
>>
>> Björn Persson
> There are many vectors for such attacks that a sensible, locked down,
> secure, monitored environment would not experience. Popular
> vulnerabilities include:
>
> * Stolen passwords from penetrated hosts, used for SSH connections.
> Copying a file to $HOME/.local/bin requires far less scripting and
> awareness of existing contents than editing of .bashrc or .profile
> that reveals timestamp changes of the edited file, and differs from
> system defaults. Since the contents of $HOME/.local/bin are not
> defined or definable, by its very nature, it's harder to audit.
> * Fileshares of home directories. Many environments, especially
> university environments, use NFSv3 with quite general access. Welcome
> to write access to $HOME/ !!!  And $HOME/.local/bin is notably less
> apparent than $HOME/bin, due to the default lack of "ls" reporting of
> contents of "." prefaced directories, and of the difficulty of leaving
> security auditing to check .bashrc, .profile, etc.
>
> Does that give you enough examples of unnecessarily vulnerable vectors
> opened by default by the casual assumption that "ohh, they could get
> in another way, so I don't have to worry about the hole *I* am
> suggesting opening up!!!"

I know there was a statement against "if they can do X then they can do
Y" statements previously. However: I don't think that prioritizing
user-controlled path directories is giving a hypothetical attacker an
advantage since they can even re-implement this with the equivalent of:

echo 'export PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bashrc

I think it is appropriate to say that this is no more inappropriate than
user-controlled files (like .bashrc or .profile) being executed during
session startup or shell startup in the first place.