Re: Prioritizing ~/.local/bin over /usr/bin on the PATH

On 06/15/2018 11:24 AM, Till Maas wrote:
> ...]
>
>> What I'm trying to say is that with these kinds of attack (like viruses,
>> or exploits on massively accessed page), there is inevitably going to be
>> some sort of economic decision on side of author affecting how "smart"
>> they want the code to be.
>>
>> Thus, every little step you're making towards "easier" translates to
>> dumber exploits being able to succeed.  Suddenly not just those that did
>> 2 things but also those that did 1 thing.
>
> So the assumption is to have a super sophisticated browser exploit for
> which an attacker most likely spent several days to find it and then the
> PATH setting will make it so much harder that the exploit will not
> succeed? There are a lot more real challenges that attackers have to face.

The attacker could have looked up the exploit on the web.

I think you keep putting some kind of base standard on the hypothetical
attacker and then your argument is "if they can do X then they can do
Y".  Because we're both SW engineers, the relation between X and Y is
obvious to us, so yeah, anybody who would do X would totally obviously
also do Y.  Sure, we've been there so many times we don't even think
about it.

OTOH, I don't think that's the best way to think about security.  There
are no standards.   The amount of code (dedicated to Linux) could
totally be just that single line, writing the payload to .local/bin.
By including the path in default $PATH, you are allowing also the
on-bit-dumber attack to succeed (... now with all Fedora users, yay!...)

>> My point is that security is not a black & white concept.
>>
>> It's a float, not a bool.  And I'm not arguing about the amount, but
>> merely against the black & white thinking.  With all respect, to me it
>> sounds  kinda like saying "why wash my hands when diseases can spread
>> through air".
>
> The initial theory in this thread was that it is a significant security
> risk. And all the arguments for this are either "it's obvious" or are
> based on arbitrarily constructed scenarios. If you are saying it just
> makes a minor impact, then we do not need to discuss further because
> this is good enough for me.

I'm saying there is some impact.  I'm not aware of any meaningful way to
measure it, but I don't think it's necessary: IMHO even making a "minor"
impact is already bad idea.

Especially if I don't really see any convincing reason why this should
be done.

The "bug" with /usr/bin/pip should IMO be fixed with /usr/bin/pip--IIUC
it's this bin that starts to conflate system libs with stuff under $HOME
(My guess is you could have this kind of breakage even in a way
unrelated to $PATH.)

Thanks,
aL.

--