Re: FESCo Elections - May 2018 : Results announcement

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 09:34:48AM -0500, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I would also double the terms served by the candidates (at least for
> FESCo), since otherwise we'd wind up with twice as many candidates
> on the ballot at each election, which would make the elections more
> confusing (more names to recognize, more candidate interviews to
> read) and could backfire on us (as I'd expect voters are more likely
> to vote in simpler elections). Longer terms would also make the
> results of the elections more consequential, i.e. it becomes more
> important to vote if you care about FESCo because the people elected
> are going to be there for two years instead of one.

There's another aspect of burnout: two years is a big commitment. In
the past, we've bad people who really were getting burned out or busy
with other commitments but who felt they couldn't really step down
without abandoning their responsibilities. If we did go to two year
terms, I'd rather see one year + automatic re-up if you want.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>