Re: Intent to update granite to 5.0 (includes an soname bump)

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 6:55 PM Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> The elementary project has recently released version 5.0 of their granite toolkit extensions library, which includes an soname bump, and some deprecated APIs were removed.
>
> I intend to update the granite package in rawhide next week, and I am fairly confident that this won't cause (m)any issues because I already basically run CI builds of all currently packaged elementary projects on fedora (in COPR), and I don't see any compatibility issues with the latest granite snapshots.
>
> Affected packages
> -------------------------
>
> According to a repoquery, the packages affected by this soname bump currently are:
>
> appcenter
> audience
> capnet-assist
> deepin-wm
> dippi
> gala
> harvey
> maya-calendar
> noise
> notejot
> pantheon-calculator
> pantheon-files
> pantheon-greeter
> pantheon-photos
> pantheon-terminal
> scratch-text-editor
> screenshot-tool
> sequeler
> slingshot-launcher
> snap-photobooth
> switchboard
> switchboard-plug-a11y
> switchboard-plug-about
> switchboard-plug-applications
> switchboard-plug-bluetooth
> switchboard-plug-display
> switchboard-plug-keyboard
> switchboard-plug-mouse-touchpad
> switchboard-plug-networking
> switchboard-plug-notifications
> switchboard-plug-onlineaccounts
> switchboard-plug-pantheon-shell
> switchboard-plug-printers
> vocal
> wingpanel
> wingpanel-indicator-ayatana
> wingpanel-indicator-bluetooth
> wingpanel-indicator-datetime
> wingpanel-indicator-keyboard
> wingpanel-indicator-network
> wingpanel-indicator-notifications
> wingpanel-indicator-power
> wingpanel-indicator-session
> wingpanel-indicator-sound
>
> This list will probably change and/or grow in the next few days, as the elementary people are currently releasing updates in preparation for their 5.0 beta release, and I'm preparing to rename some packages and update others before the rebuild for this soname bump hits.
>
> I own all of those packages myself with the exception of "deepin-wm", which will also have to be rebuilt by its maintainer.
>
> Update procedure
> -------------------------

> [...]

As announced a week ago, I will do the granite 5.0 build now, and will
start the necessary rebuilds after that.
I have requested a "f29-granite" side tag to do those builds, and
after everything was successful, the builds will be merged into
f29/rawhide.

The "deepin-wm" package will also have to be rebuilt for the new
version of granite - bumping the release and using "fedpkg build
--target=f29-granite" should be enough, since I don't know of any
breaking changes. All other dependent packages will be rebuilt by me
(assuming the repoquery returned a valid result).

Fabio