Re: Prioritizing ~/.local/bin over /usr/bin on the PATH

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 11:17:25AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 13.06.2018 um 11:11 schrieb Daniel P. Berrangé:

> >> bullshit - man chattr
> >>
> >> [root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ touch /home/harry/.bashrc
> >> touch: setting times of '/home/harry/.bashrc': Operation not permitted
> >>
> >> so and now tell me how you override "ls" on my system until some fool
> >> adds a user-writeable directory in front of $PATH i am not aware
> >
> > If you're willing to make custom modifications to prevent user writing
> > to their own $HOME, then there's no reason why you can't set a different
> > $PATH or also use chattr to prevent use of $HOME/.local/bin
>
> you don't get it - the more unsecure the defaults are the more likely it
> is someone forget such a crazy default like "every random idiot can drop
> a binary which overrides basic commands"

I completely understand this. If you want to argue that there are things
we can do to make Fedora more secure by default ,that is great. My point
was about the impact of this proposed change, on the current Fedora
defaults, and in that context the proposal does not make Fedora less
secure.

> in 2018 systems have to become *more secure* insteal less just because
> some crap software rely on that don't get fixed - in which languages was
> the shit from the discussion written and don#t they provide something
> better than fuckup PATH to fix applications?

Please moderate your language, this is totally inappropriate.

Regards,
Daniel