Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

Hi,

On 04-06-18 21:17, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Thu, 2018-05-31 at 12:43 +0200, Jan Kurik wrote:
= Proposed System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HiddenGrubMenu

We (QA) would like to note that the "How to test" section of this
Change seems heavily under-developed:

"1. Install Fedora in a fresh vm or select reclaim diskspace -> delete
all in the installer (od a single os install).
2. Boot the system the grub menu should not show
3. (Re)boot press F8 repeatedly when the firmware / vendor logo shows,
you should now get the grub menu"

I mean, that doesn't even consider testing that the change is *not*
applied when doing a "multi OS" install, which is explicitly part of
the Change. As a *bare minimum*, that needs to be covered.

You are completely right. I've updated the wiki page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HiddenGrubMenu

To reflect all the discussed changes (Workstation only, only hide the
menu after a boot which sets the boot + shutdown success flags,
make it easier to unhide the menu) and I've updated.

And I've updated the test plan both to reflect the discussed changes
and to address your concerns.

It also doesn't cover other situations. One brought up at our QA
meeting was - what happens if you install Fedora first and then another
Linux distribution second?

The Change as a whole doesn't seem to consider what should happen in
this case, which seems like an omission; obviously if there *is* an
expected outcome in this case, the "How to test" section should cover
testing it.

The outcome will depend on how grub2-mkconfig's detects this, assuming
it correctly detects this other Linux as another OS then the auto-hide
feature will be disabled. Note that if Fedora's grub is to be used
after installing another Linux then grub2-mkconfig needs to be re-run
to get menu entries for the new Linux. So this is a scenario which
will always require manual setup. At which point manually calling:

sudo grub2-editenv - unset menu_auto_hide

To disable the auto-hide feature should not be a problem. Note that
as Peter suggested the feature is now controlled by an environment
variable, so it can be easily turned on/off by doing:

sudo grub2-editenv - set menu_auto_hide=1
sudo grub2-editenv - unset menu_auto_hide

Without needing to generate grub.cfg (and potentially loosing
manual changes there).

We do need to document this properly. As said before, I promise
I will write docs for this once things have settled a bit.

A question to you (and the Fedora community in general) where
should the documentation for this live ? I would like to have
something longer lived then the Changes wiki page or the
release notes.

Regards,

Hans