Re: Hiding the grub menu by default on single OS installs

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:53 AM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 09:08:28AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> > I'm working on improving the Fedora boot experience, with the
>> > end goal being a user pressing the on button and then going
>> > to the graphical login manager without him seeing any
>> > text messages / menus filled with technical jargon.
>> Seems like this is implictly saying "Fedora" to mean (classic) "desktop", but
>> we have different editions now.   Further, one of those editions,
>> Atomic Host, has fully transactional updates via rpm-ostree that are reflected
>> in the bootloader order today - it's not just the kernel.  And we like that feature =)
>

> +1 -- I think we would probably also want the menu by default on
> server. (Although, conversely, it's pretty useless in cloud
> environments where there isn't an interactive console.)

Ironically, server, cloud, and VMs all benefit the most from the
feature. VMs are the least likely to run into kernel related
regressions, followed by bare metal servers. Workstation is more
likely. And maybe ARM and IoT related products even more likely (I'm
basing that on the much wider assortment of hardware, less
standardization, very active development, and less testing coverage).

--
Chris Murphy