Re: F29 System Wide Change: Strong crypto settings: phase 2

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 11:49:51AM -0500, mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Daniel P. Berrangé <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > IIUC,  glib-networking uses GNUTLS. If so, a while ago I added ability
> > specify an ordered list of named priority aliases to GNUTLS that might
> > handle
> > the kind of scenario you describe.
> >
> > https://www.berrange.com/posts/2016/11/15/new-tls-algorithm-priority-config-for-libvirt-with-gnutls-on-fedora-25/
> >
> > eg in libvirt we now use the string  "@LIBVIRT,SYSTEM" in Fedora builds
> > which
> > tells GNUTLS to find the policy "LIBVIRT" and if that is not present,
> > fall
> > back to the "SYSTEM" policy.
> >
> > We do this so libvirt respects system policy by default, but admins can
> > then set an alternative system wide policy for libvirt connections that
> > uses something stricter (or weaker), without affecting TLS usage for
> > non-libvirt connections. We've done the same for QEMU which
> > "@QEMU,SYSTEM"
> > as its default policy now, for VNC and its other TLS services.
>
> OK... so we could add a @GLIBNETWORKING,SYSTEM policy, I suppose, and
> install a file /etc/crypto-policies/local.d/gnutls-glib-networking.config.
> The difference is that file would need to be packaged, not controlled by the
> system administrator. Seems almost like an abuse of a local.d?

Yeah if you add the gnutls-glib-networking.config file in the RPM, that
defeats the point IMHO, as it'll never fallback to use @SYSTEM if this
file always exists with @GLIBNETWORKING defined in it.

The idea of the mechanism was that apps/libs build with @MYNAME,SYSTEM
priority but never define @MYNAME themselves, so it gives the local
sysadmin to customize the app/lib in isolation if they so wish, but
out of the box still respects @SYSTEM.

Regards,
Daniel