Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu

Forwarding reply from Ken:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ken Coar <kcoar@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Bcc:
Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 12:20:32 -0400
Subject: Re: F29 System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu
On 05/31/2018 06:43 AM, Jan Kurik wrote:
> = Proposed System Wide Change: Hide the grub menu =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/HiddenGrubMenu
>
> On systems with only a single OS installed, the grub menu does not
> offer any useful functionality, so we should hide it by default.

I'm not [yet] in any of the groups which would allow me to
comment on the wiki, so I'll do it here.

I fundamentally disagree with the 'no useful functionality'
reasoning.  It provides access to the kernel line, even if
there's only one kernel, and that is *definitely* useful
functionality.

I'm opposed to this change.  For one thing, it violates the
Principle of Least Astonishment.  For another, with SSD drives
becoming more and more common, and CPUs faster and faster, the
time window for successfully whanging away at the F8/ESC/F12/whatever
key in order to bring up the menu is getting harder to hit.
Glance away for an instant and you've missed it -- so either let
it come up so you can reboot, or (possibly more common) power it
down (because you can't get in) and try again.

FWIW.
--
#ken    B-|}

Ken, Baron Coar
RHCA, RHCVA, Sanagendamgagwedweinini
Red Hat IT Infrastructure

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:14 PM, Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Once upon a time, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>> If we're going to patch grub to expand the set of keys it will watch
>> for, is it possible to just expand the set to encompass all keys?  We
>> don't really need to make it that hard to find the grub menu, do we?
>
> To add: printing a message to the screen for only a few seconds can be
> almost useless, as many times monitors take those same seconds to sync
> to the output of the GRUB screen (it seems to always be in a different
> mode from the BIOS/UEFI boot screen).  So IMHO, taking any key would be
> good because not only do I not have to remember a specific one or few
> keys, I don't have to read a message that is only actually visible for
> 0.2 seconds.
>
> --
> Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Jan Kuřík
JBoss EAP Program Manager
Red Hat Czech s.r.o., Purkynova 99/71, 612 45 Brno, Czech Republic