Re: Hiding the grub menu by default on single OS installs

Hi,

On 31-05-18 15:08, Colin Walters wrote:

On Thu, May 31, 2018, at 6:23 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
Hi All,

I'm working on improving the Fedora boot experience, with the
end goal being a user pressing the on button and then going
to the graphical login manager without him seeing any
text messages / menus filled with technical jargon.

Seems like this is implictly saying "Fedora" to mean (classic) "desktop", but
we have different editions now.   Further, one of those editions,
Atomic Host, has fully transactional updates via rpm-ostree that are reflected
in the bootloader order today - it's not just the kernel.  And we like that feature =)

I've this on my radar, but I would expect SilverBlue to also not want
to show the menu by default, so although the menu is used a bit differently
the fundamental problems (hide by default, still allow the user access,
pop up automatically on bootfail) apply AFAICT.

There's also a GSoC project to write a boot health check service that
integrates with this: https://pagure.io/fedora-iot/issue/2

Oh, interesting.

Regards,

Hans