Re: F29 System Wide Change: Move /usr/bin/python into a separate package

On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 12:26:30PM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> RB> https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/resultsdb/results?testcases=dist.python-versions.python_usage
>
> This one seems on-point.  rpm 4.14.1-9.fc28 fails:
> https://taskotron.fedoraproject.org/resultsdb/results/21327930
>
> Is it possible to filter only failures out of the results list?
>
> RB> So we could look through these to find packages that fail. Of
> RB> course, a downside to this approach is that there will only be data
> RB> for packages that have been built since these tests existed, so
> RB> unmaintained packages might not appear in these results even though
> RB> they could have problems.
>
> That's pretty much the same for most things in this domain.  Any change
> we make to any build-time configuration isn't going to have any effect
> until packages are actually built.
>
> Still, at least personally I would much rather have something fail when
> I do a mock build to tell me that something deep within the build
> process is calling /usr/bin/python.  Waiting until after the slowest
> koji builder has managed to churn through a package to find out that you
> missed a python execution somewhere is not nearly as useful.

When you put it like this ... this is exactly what the change under
discussion does! (I know you know, I'm just highlighting it because
that's a different way to describe the Change that hasn't been
expressed before in this thread.)

Zbyszek