Re: FC4 slimfast slimfest

I think the point made here is quite important. Another package that could be droped from core is nss_db because it's been half broken since FC3 ( possibly before ) and is using at least 1mb of space needlessly. It has been statically linked against db4.0 thereby driving up the size of the binaries. Also, thrid party tools linked against db4.2 ( now default ) libraries are incompatible with nss_db because it is statically linked against 4.0.

I submitted a patched .src.rpm file that corrects those problems so that not only are the libraries much smaller, but third party db generator tools work ( since they are generally statically linked ) and it has just sat there without any changes.

So, please, move it to extras so that someone can maintain it. There may be dozens of packages like nss_db where the average person does not use it, it has been poorly maintined, and it get isntalled by default on all systems.

Cheers,
Eric

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
No, That's the point - if fedora is going to work and going to have a
constantly increasing number of packages then people OUTSIDE of red hat
need to play ball.

Well yeah. But that's neither here nor there. You're stating that Core is defined as RedHat's contribution and Extras as The Community contribution to the Fedora Project. But that's never been stated.

I want that clarified because it's a very different thing to look at Core
and say I wouldn't mind having to download that separate from the Core CDs
versus I wouldn't mind maintaining that package or seeing it go to
/dev/null.

This, of course, leads into the complementary question of whether RedHat
is willing to open up maintenance of Core packages to Community
contributers.

So there's a different set of criteria for choosing packages and a different
set of helpful suggestions outside the scope of adding/removing packages
depending on what we're actually trying to limit (disk space or RedHat
maintenence burden.)

if you don't know how to get on the team go here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/CvsAccess

Yep. But fear of rejection has always kept me shy :-)

-Toshio

--

Eric Warnke                   Computer Programmer / Systems Analyst
eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                      518-727-1523

'There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat,
plausible, and wrong.' - H.L. Mencken