Re: F29 Self Contained Change: MySQL 8

On 7 May 2018 at 12:48, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
> I remember when MariaDB was first released, it and MySQL were compatible
> replacements for one another and this assumption was baked into plenty of
> other packages. Is this still true, and if not are there plans to coordinate
> with other packages to update things like client connector dependencies?

During 8.0 development cycle none of the client protocol changes has been made.
You can use for example ODBC connector compiled on top of 5.7 header
files land linked with 5.7 or MariaDB client libraries with MySQL 8.0
server and it will be no problem as long as for example you database
scheme stored in MySQL engine will be not using for example group or
function keywords in names of tables or rows.

In other words: from ABI point of view nothing needs to be coordinated here.

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH