Re: Fedora 27 kernel updates make system unbootable (sort of)

Once upon a time, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> And sync() is only sufficient on non-journaled file
> systems, on journaled file systems sync() only ensures metadata is in
> the log, it's considered acceptable to depend on log replay to make
> the file system consistent, but of course the bootloader can't do
> that.

So, to me, this is the bug.  GRUB claims to read XFS, but it only reads
XFS in certain states (and doesn't throw an error if the filesystem is
in any other state, just fails).  If GRUB can't read XFS in the common
reasonable states, then it shouldn't claim XFS support, and Fedora
shouldn't be using XFS for any filesystem GRUB needs to read.

That IMHO would mean one of:

- fix GRUB to be able to handle the XFS journal in some form
- change Fedora so that if there's a /boot, it gets ext2
- change Fedora so that otherwise, don't use XFS for /

I understand not handling significant filesystem errors, but "file is in
the journal" shouldn't be one of them.
--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>