Re: F28 Self Contained Change: java-openjdk 10 - rolling release for Short Term Support releases of OpenJDK

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 02:58:56PM +0200, Jan Kurik wrote:
> This is a late proposal for F28 release, mostly to spread awareness of the
> availability of java-openjdk 10 in Fedora. It is not closely tied to the
> F28 release however it would be good to have this in the formal F28 scope.
> That is the reason, why after a discussion with the Change owner, this is
> announced as a Self Contained Change Proposal.

It'd be great to see this in F28. I also think it's reasonable to make
a Change page for this, since it's not just a new package, but a fairly
important feature and also something that requires discussion & coordination.

The "Benefit to Fedora" part is clear, but the "Detailed description" part
is — at least for me — way too short. I'm trying to understand basic details
like what the package is going to be called and how long it will exist, and
I don't see this information anywhere. See my comments below.

> = Proposed Self Contained Change: java-openjdk 10 - rolling release for
> Short Term Support  releases of OpenJDK =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/java-openjdk-10
>

> Owner(s):
>   * Jiri Vanek <jvanek at redhat dot com>
>

> OpenJDK have release  cadence of 6 months. but 3/4 of them are Short Term
> Supported for 6 months only.  This package is designed to harbore them.
> Currently it is build on openJDK 10. LTSs (next is 11) will go as separate
> packages.
> See announcement:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2017-September/004281.html<br
> />
> See java SIG plans:
> https://jvanek.fedorapeople.org/devconf/2018/changesInjavaReleaseProcess.pdf
>

> == Detailed description ==
> JDK10 is next major release of Java platform.  It is bringing many cool
> improvements - http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk/10/ and is landing to
> your Fedora.  Where it will be maintained for f27 and newer.  Unluckily, it
> is STS (short term support) version. Between individual LTS will be always
> several STS. Again, please
> See announcement:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2017-September/004281.html
> and See java SIG plans:
> https://jvanek.fedorapeople.org/devconf/2018/changesInjavaReleaseProcess.pdf
> .  So this is rolling release of all STSs to come. Its fate during the
> release of fresh LTS is yet to be decided.
> You will always be allowed to install  Used LTS in fedora build root,
> alongside with latest  STS via alternatives.

How are the source and binary packages be called, in particular for
JDK10 and JDK11?

> So this is rolling release of all STSs to come. Its fate during the
> release of fresh LTS is yet to be decided.
F28 will be supported until approx. 2019-06. IIUC, JDK10 will be supported
until 2018-09? Our update guidelines don't allow retirement in the middle
of a cycle. What happens after 2018-09?

Is jdk10 going to be installable in parallel with jdk-1.8 and jdk11?
If yes, how does one decide which version is used at runtime?

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> This is isolated change. The maintainers of OpenJDK in Fedora must build
> the binaries, and keep them working.  Still, to keep this rolling release
> will be soem packaging challenge. Lets see this when JDK12  (or maybe
> already 11) come out.
>
> * Other developers:
> Should slowly start to check theirs packages against JDK10

How? Please provide testing instructions.

Zbyszek