Re: How should I coordinate the package updates with you guys?

On Thu, 2018-04-12 at 17:06 -0500, pouar@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > Brotli apparently just got a new update, and I was told I have to
> > > coordinate package updates with you guys in Rawhide instead of just
> > > uploading the updates unannounced. How should I proceed?
> >
> > ]
> >
> > Well, there's only really a need to coordinate if the versioning of the
> > library changes, or if there's an ABI change and (boo) upstream doesn't
> > bother to bump the soversion when they break the ABI, or if there's
> > something else that people need to know about like an API change which
> > is going to break users of the library when they next rebuild.
> >
> > If you're just releasing a compatible update, then there's no real need
> > to say much of anything.  Otherwise this list would be flooded with
> > update notices.
> >
> > If you do need to make an announcement, you should say what is changing,
> > what needs to be done to accommodate it, and provide a list of packages
> > which will need rebuilding.  You can use the find-package-maintainers
> > script from
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-misc-package-utilities/blob/master/f/find-package-maintainers
> > to give a nice list of packages and their owners so that people can
> > easily see if they'll need to do anything.
> >
> > (This really needs to be put into the wiki if it isn't already there.)
> >
> >  - J<
>
> How do I find out what packages depends on it? Would
> `dnf repoquery --whatrequires brotli`
> provide that?

No, not quite.

>  or is there a different command that I should run?

Well, the script above. But you can also do:

dnf repoquery --releasever=rawhide --refresh --whatrequires "libbrotlicommon.so.1()(64bit)"
dnf repoquery --releasever=rawhide --refresh --whatrequires "libbrotlidec.so.1()(64bit)"
dnf repoquery --releasever=rawhide --refresh --whatrequires "libbrotlienc.so.1()(64bit)"

to find *binary* packages with an auto-generated dependency on
the current sonames provided by the library, and:

dnf repoquery --releasever=rawhide --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=fedora-source --whatrequires brotli-devel

to find all source packages that BuildRequire brotli-devel.

>  Do I just
> make an announcement after uploading with the list of packages that need to
> rebuild or is there something else that I need to do first?

Read the URL Fabio linked to, but the important thing is, you need to
do the announcement *well in advance* of doing the actual build, and
ideally come up with a plan for making sure the builds of the
dependencies happen on the same day as the build of brotli.

Note this is all assuming the new version will actually change the
soname - if it doesn't, there's no problem. The current soname in
Rawhide is 'libbrotli(whatever).so.1', if that's the same with the new
version, all existing packages should continue to work with it without
needing to be rebuilt.

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson