Re: [EPEL-devel] Re: Ansible in EL7

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11 April 2018 at 10:02, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 4:43 AM, Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not in Ansible engineering or product management so take this with a
>>> grain of salt. My understanding is that cadence of Ansible releases and
>>> its aggressiveness in API changes makes it a bit less suitable to follow
>>> a traditional RHEL 7 release cadence. A separate product channel allows
>>> them to update packages at own cadence.
>>>
>>> I wonder how re-packaging for CentOS targets could happen with this
>>> approach and probably moving it back to EPEL7 is indeed something that
>>> makes more sense.
>>
>> Wouldn't a separate RHEL channel for a separate product, such as
>> ansible, mean a separate channel for CentOS to avoid precisely this
>> confusion? Mixing it into EPEL and having it on a separate RHEL
>> channel would be *bad* for anyone who activates that separate channel.
>> They'd have to filter it out of EPEL to ensure that the streams don't
>> get crossed on any updates from Red Hat. I understand that this is one
>> of the main reasons EPEL never carries packages that overlap with RHEL
>> published software.
>
> It is a lot more nuanced than that. EPEL builds packages that do not
> overlap with the following channels:
>

> rhel-7-server-extras-rpms/
> rhel-7-server-optional-rpms/
> rhel-7-server-rpms/
> rhel-ha-for-rhel-7-server-rpms/
> rhel-server-rhscl-7-rpms/
>
> These are chosen because they were the base set originally and other
> channels which might be available can have items which conflict with
> each other. This means that EPEL can conflict with somethings inside
> of "RHEL" but so can things are in "RHEL".

EPEL is a default, critical requirement for many tools, including Chef
and mock. Many environments running RHEL or CentOS 6 could not be used
without EPEL's plethora of useful tools. RHEL channels can conflict
with each other because they are enabled on an individual host, case
by case basis. I think, from old experiences, that having *anything*
in EPEL that overlaps with any RHEL published channel is begging for
pain.

It may cause pain to current RHEL ansible users, but I think that the
EPEL package needs to be renamed to something like "ansible25" to
avoid conflicts with the RHEL channel.