Re: updates in stable branches introducing new dependencies

On Wednesday, 11 April 2018 at 10:35, Michal Schorm wrote:
> For fetaures, that are optional, weak dependencies is the best solution I
> can think of.
> Even when "Recommends" is used, which means it will try to pull the
> dependency as well, if not said specifically opted-out.

That's fine. The optional dependency can be uninstalled afterwards or
not installed at all if you have install_weak_deps set to false.

> > 2 considerations:
> > * is the user experience significantly affected?
> > * is the size implications significant?
> > As far as I can tell, the answer to both is generally no.
>
> For everything else, besides opt features, plugins, ... , I totally agree
> with the nice short answer from Rex.

So, you think the maintainers should be free to add any new dependencies
without any announcement or explanation as long as it doesn't "materially
affect the user or developer experience"?

I actually have nothing against adding new features, even in stable
branches, but I do object to lack of communication about those.

Regards,
Dominik
--
Fedora   https://getfedora.org  |  RPMFusion   http://rpmfusion.org