Re: Fedora28 / autofs&NFS

On 07/04/18 10:13, Tomasz Kłoczko wrote:
> On 6 April 2018 at 22:58, Pierre-Francois RENARD <pfrenard@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> with F28 I tried to use autofs and nfs.
>
> BTW autofs: is it any particular reason why in Fedora kernels autofs
> support is compiled into the kernel and is not provided as loadable
> module?
>
> $ cat /proc/filesystems | grep auto; echo; lsmod | grep auto
> nodev autofs

Yes there is a reason.

Long ago there were two autofs modules that provided the autofs
file system, autofs and autofs4. So kernel module auto-loading
didn't work for autofs4.

Now the autofs module has long since been removed and many times
I have prepared a patch series to rename autofs4 to autofs but
haven't been able to post them as something higher priority has
always come up.

So yes, I need to do that, but it may also be the case that it's
considered to be frequently enough used that it will continue to
be compiled in.

> $
>
> PS. the same is with for example ext{2..4} support.
>
> $ cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext; echo; lsmod | grep ext
> ext3
> ext2
> ext4

Not sure about those but ext3 and ext4 are probably compiled in
because they are frequently used, ext2 maybe should be a module
nowadays, but not my call.

Ian