Re: Intent to orphan Python 2

On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 04:15:15PM +0200, Miro Hrončok wrote:
> On 7.4.2018 15:53, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >On Fri, Apr 06, 2018 at 10:33:04AM -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> >>To be completely honest, if someone wants to drop a python2 subpackage,
> >>that's their prerogative but it does bring up an interesting question.
> >>Normally if someone wants to orphan a package, they're welcome to do so
> >>and others are welcome to pick it up.  But this is about removing a
> >>subpackage.
> >Yes, but as with any removal action, it behooves the maintainer to
> >query and think if that removal will not cause disruption, and if it
> >will, what is the best way to proceed (announce more widely, warn and
> >delay the removal, postpone indefinitely?).
>
> So apparently the general confusion/problem here is lack of
> communication when removing python2-subpackages.
>
> Filling a Fedora Change proposal for every single python2 subpackage
> removal feels a bit overengineered. So let's set up some basic rules
> about what to do when a python2 subpackage is being removed. E.g. do
> it in rawhide only, send an announcement do devel, wait X days, etc.

For timing, I think should piggy-back on the rules for retiring. From
user POV, there isn't much difference between a subpackage disappearing
and a package being retired. Those rules say [1]:
> Do not retire packages in other branches than Branched (until the
> Final Freeze), Rawhide (master) and EPEL branches (el5, el6, epel7).
> When you need to add package from EPEL to any RHEL release, only
> retire EPEL branch when package is released in that RHEL release.

+1 for fedora-devel. A mail to fedora-devel a week in advance should
be enough. And if people show up who want to take responsibility for
the python2 version, give them ACLs.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_remove_a_package_at_end_of_life

Zbyszek