Re: Intent to orphan Python 2

On 6 April 2018 at 01:10, Eric Garver <egarver@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 10:53:03PM +0200, Fabio Valentini wrote:

>> > Heh just saw this one from a comment on Reddit...
>> >
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1714107
>> >
>> > Unless Nirik does a "maintainer patch" porting the entire code over himself
>> > I guess no more Calibre in F30 ;)
>> >

>> "I am perfectly capable of maintaining python 2 myself."
>> Best laugh I had today.
>>

>> But that's beside the point.
>> I just wanted to throw in something that I don't quite understand
>> about this thread:
>>
>> If I understand correctly, the original proposal was about
>> - dropping python2 support and sub-packages only in "fedora > 29" or
>> "fedora >= 29" (see the original mail in this thread),
>> - starting from leaf packages, so no unmet dependencies are introduced
>> during the retirement process.
>>
>> According to this, the python2 bindings for firewalld shouldn't have
>> been dropped from f28 at all, because
>> - there's still something depending on them (ansible support for
>> firewalld, still uses python2 on f28), and
>
> This dependency is not visible via rpm, because it's on the remote side
> not the controller side where Ansible is installed.
> i.e.
>
>   $ repoquery --whatrequires python2-firewall
>
> yields nothing. As such, I missed this indirect dependency. It would be
> nice if there was a way to express this.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't this be a nuisance in Ansible for
> some time? If the controller side (regardless of distro) defaults to
> invoking python2 on the remote then it will fail on f29+. I guess
> Ansible has knobs to tell it to use python3 on a set of remotes.
> Alternatively you can install python3-ansible.
>
> My point is, restoring the python2-firewall subpackage for f28 will help
> targets that are f28. But in f29, the package will definitely be gone
> and we're still "broken" for many controlling distros including older
> Fedora releases.
>
>> - the change was explicitly about f29+ (and not f28, too).
>
> I had dropped the python2-firewall subpackage before this thread was
> started.
>

>> Please correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> If I am correct though, it looks like the rawhide change to remove the
>> python2 sub-package from firewalld was mistakenly merged from rawhide
>> into f28, and should be reverted.
>
> I'm not an Ansible user so I don't know how painful it is for the
> python2-firewall subpackage to be gone. If the majority thinks it should
> be restored, then we'll bring it back.

Just align the drop to F29, at the earliest, to align with ansible
itself changing ... and let's get a Change listed (or ask the ansible
team to note this on their change) so that at least there's
documentation ...

The only real problem right now is a lack of communication in
python2-* drops ... we just need to be a lot clearer there.

Note the latest ansible documentation actually states:

Requires the python2 bindings of firewalld, which may not be installed
by default if the distribution switched to python 3

Also there is a PyPi package for firewall that is completely different
from this making things even messier as if firewalld drops the
subpackage there is no way for someone to get a py2 firewalld library
on the target system in the event their ansible module doesn't work
with py3

This is going to be a very messy couple of Fedora releases I fear ...