Re: Intent to orphan Python 2

On 4 April 2018 at 22:06, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/04/2018 01:35 PM, James Hogarth wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, 21:28 Adam Williamson, <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This rather begs the question of whether there are any modules which
>>> only work *with python 2*, though...
>
> The answer is (at least based on what I know from talking with upstream)
> that ansible has been pretty well tested with python3 for the controller
> host. All upstream PR's are tested against both python2 and python3. All
> upstream CI runs against python2 and python3.
>
> For the target/managed node side: all core modules have been tested
> under python3. Community supported modules however they have been fixing
> python3 issues as they come up. There's not any full testing thats
> happened over all those, nor is there likely to be.
>
> Heres the list of known python3 bugs in modules:
> https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Apython3+label%3Abug

Yup this is why I'm very nervous about the F29/F30 plans in the face of this ...

>> The ansible guys might know... or might not really tbh which is why the
>> current documentation upstream still declares it a technology preview.
>>
>> The test coverage is growing there but not massively comprehensive... and
>> tbh I expect the greater problem will be random galaxy stuff or local
>> plugins and modules people have written.
>
> Right.
>
> However, they do say that most problems are trivial to fix up also.

Trivial ... but still need time and people to review, merge and then
release them.

Stuff in galaxy can be fixed relatively quickly by owners as it
bypasses github stuff of course ... but modules shipped with ansible
already will take a while to go from PR to a built and shipped
release.