Re: Unacceptable size increase to ALL live images in F28 (caused by Annobin?)

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 9:32 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just checked several packages that compiled the same sources on F26 and
> F28:
> * sscg: 4.31% increase in size
> * nodejs 8:  22% *decrease* in size
> * libmodulemd: 12% *decrease* in size
> * sssd-common: 2.58% increase in size
> * boost-system: 1.00% increase in size
>
> Granted, this is just a spot-check, but it seems to me like (on the whole)
> improvements in the compiler are at least balancing out the increase caused
> by annobin. It definitely doesn't indicate a 19-40% increase across the
> board. So I'd guess it's more likely to be dependency bloat or one or two
> core packages growing significantly.

I don't yet have proof of this, but I suspect that we might have more
packages that either:

1. Don't respect our compilation flags and thus simply are larger
because of that

or

2. Are built in static or static-like manner which promotes binary
bloat (Go, Rust, etc.)

Last I checked, we don't have anything significant on the ISOs that
fall into the latter category, so I would not be shocked if the former
is the reason why...