Re: Gating packages in Rawhide

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:47:50AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le 2018-03-28 12:52, Pierre-Yves Chibon a écrit :
>
> Hi
>
> > With bodhi:
> > - Single package update
> > https://pingou.fedorapeople.org/gating_rawhide/GatingRawhide_bodhi.png
> > - Multi-packages update
>
> Not terribly fond of anything that offloads multi-build intellignece
> coordination on packagers, forcing everyone that needs multi-build to either
> do lots of manual operations, to reinvent its own local tooling, or just
> give up on some updates.

I am not sure where you're seeing:
- lots of manual operations
- reinventing its own tooling
- giving up on some updates

There would be 2 new operation: ask for a new side-tag, ask for it to be merged.
These already exists for large rebuilds and need to go via rel-eng while the new
tooling would allow self-service.

I think we made it clear that we want to get chain-build to work/keep working

For the last point, I'm very unclear on where you got this impression.

> The correct packager-friendly way to do it is
>
> eat-this <list of srpms> → ok/nok

How is this different from chain-build?

> With the tooling chain-building <list of srpms>, automatically applying
> boostrap sections when present, automatically rebuilding everything in the
> set against the final state of other parts of the set, and applying
> integration tests to the end result and not to the intermediary steps.
>
> And it should not matter if <list of srpms> has a count of one or many.

Agreed in theory, in practice having a list of one item allows to simplify
things.

> Anything that posits list of srpms is a special case

I think it's the other way around: single srpm are a special case, they are a
sub-case of the multi-srpm which allow taking shortcut.

> (that's also a huge defect our the review workflow, unbundle and produce a
> clean and maintenable set of packages → lots of review and tooling misery,
> keep it all in a single srpm → no problems)

One could argue than 1 is always simpler than > 1 so this is intrinsically a
state of things.

That being said, I think it is a fair critic one we may want to address but I
think that's broader than the discussion at hand.

Pierre