Re: Announcing DNF 3 development

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018, at 11:02 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> If DNF was just frontend for some service/daemon, that would be one
> possibility. It would also help with other issues like updates of X
> server crashing whole user session and therefore the update.

FWIW rpm-ostree is always a daemon today; we're really focused on the
"host system" management case so we can just assume that.  Obviously
there's PackageKit as well.

That said I spent a while thinking about this a while ago, and the thing
is a vast array of tooling assumes that package managers are CLI tools.
Not least e.g. `Dockerfile` style container builds.  And `mock`.
So you'd really end up with something that splits up the "managing a host
system" from "buildroot tool", which is how I think of rpm-ostreed
versus dnf today.