Re: Announcing DNF 3 development

W dniu 26.03.2018 o 10:16, Tom Hughes pisze:
> On 26/03/18 09:06, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:

>> Will it FINALLY use one copy of metadata for all system users?
>
> Do you have a proposal as to how that might be possible in a
> secure way?

Use. Not download. And inform (like always) how old that data is.

>> I do not see how fetching megabytes of metadata is better than using
>> copy present in /var/cache/dnf/ directory.
>
> Well it could just use the cached copy sure, but if it was out of
> date then it wouldn't be able to update it?

Then it is out-of-date. But still is. And not everyone runs rawhide to
make it a difference when metadata is few days old.

>> It is faster to enter long password to use sudo than to wait until dnf
>> fetch useless copy of metadata.
>
> Agreed, which is why I always run dnf under sudo even for query
> operations.

I hate having to do that. Also dislike fact that if I do not do that
then have to wait and wait and wait until it finally fetch metadata to
show me result.

DNF started as user can not install packages so why it can not just use
systemwide metadata?

>> Debian has APT. APT uses one copy of metadata. Be wise. Like Debian.
>
> Do we know how? Do they just not allow non-root users to get up
> to date data, or do they do something cleverer?

APT has separate command for updating metadata. YUM/DNF tries to do that
every time they think that metadata is too old.