Re: Intent to orphan Python 2

Silvia Sánchez wrote:
> First, I agree with Richard that packaging two versions is painful.  It's
> also confusing from the other side.  "Install Python. I already have it.
> No, that's Python2, you need Python3. (O_O)"

The packages are already renamed or being renamed to python2*, and the plan
is also to switch the Provides so that python3 will be the package Providing
python, not python2. That should solve that issue without having to nuke
python2.

> Second, I think the earlier we start the better. So there's time to cut
> leafs and replace old libraries in Python2 with equivalents in Python3,
> dropping packages, etc.  By the time, Python2 is definitely deprecated,
> most of the work is done and only some details remain.

I am strongly opposed to removing working software that is still useful for
users. There is certainly very useful niche software that has not been
ported to Python 3 yet.

I am all for kicking out Python 2 from things such as live images if it is
still on them, for space reasons. But I think it needs to remain available
in the repository.

        Kevin Kofler