Re: josm orphaned

Le jeudi 22 mars 2018 à 16:19 +0100, Matěj Cepl a écrit :
> On 2018-03-22, 11:55 GMT, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > What you say, basically means you are questioning and deny the
> > usefulness of packaging as a whole. The key feature which has
> > made Linux distros great and superior to Windows.
>
> I understand your point, but I just wonder whether there is
> really sense in packaging everything under the sun with our
> resources (human ones) are limited.

You have strong networks effects, the more you package, the easier it
becomes (because you get more already packaged deps, because it makes
more upstreams aware of good software engineering practices, because it
forces you to solve tooling problems instead of letting them to the next
packager, because it attracts more potential packagers, because it
creates a baseline other projects can standardise on).

On the contrary the less you package, the harder it becomes.

Baseline breadth is pretty much why the Linux desktop is so hard to
crack and why no one succeeded in creating a new successful Linux distro
not based on Debian or Fedora for the last decade.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot