Re: GCC 8.0.x caused failure on Blender dependent libraries

On Thu, 2018-03-15 at 23:18 -0700, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> It looks like some Blender dependencies such as openvdb and embree
> failed to build with gcc 8.x while they successfully compiled with GCC
> 7.x. Not sure what caused the issue but I can provide the result:
>
> Failure to build openvdb  with gcc 8.0.1
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=25736367
>
> Failure to build embree with gcc 8.0.1
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=1053061
>
> Successful build of openvdb with gcc 7.1.1
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=25736526
>
> Successful build of embree with embree 3.0.0
> https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=25736804
>

> Upstream embree contacted me about the failure and I provided my finding
> to them about the root cause. Can someone take a look at the issue
> related to GCC 8.0.1 which is beyond my skills? Thanks

Well, these are usually really potential bugs in the upstream projects
that GCC is now catching. They usually require changes in the projects,
not in GCC. Reporting the issue to the upstream project, with the build
log attached or linked to, should be the first step.

Looks to me like embree is an integer type conversion error (GCC 8 is
rather stricter about conversions between potentially incompatible
integer types), openvdb the error is this:

/builddir/build/BUILD/openvdb-5.0.0/openvdb/python/pyFloatGrid.cc: In
function 'void exportFloatGrid()':
/builddir/build/BUILD/openvdb-5.0.0/openvdb/python/pyFloatGrid.cc:51:9: error: 'py::numeric' has not been declared

which we'd have to look into in a bit more detail to figure out.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey