Re: Workaround for Re: Broken system upgrade due to rich dependencies

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 5:05 AM, Igor Gnatenko
<ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have built RPM with backported with/without/unless rich deps for F26.
>
> https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/ignatenkobrain/rpm-4.13.x-richd
> eps/
>
> Just update from this repo before doing distro-sync/system-upgrade and
> you should be good.

That seems very sensible.

One of my favorite workarounds when yum, dnf, or even possibly RPM
changed too much between releases, and I still want to do the upgrade
manually, is to mirror the entire repository locally, without the
repodata/* files, and rebuild the repodata on the relevant local
mirror. Then use "that". for the update. There was an occasion years
ago when I had to use "rpm2cpio" to replace RPM components with the
newer version, and if *that* wound up messed up as well there's an
ancient script called "rpm2cpio.sh" described at
https://www.redhat.com/archives/rpm-list/2003-June/msg00367.html .It's
a useful tool for when RPM updates are completely botched, for
whatever reason. Such reasons include someone doing python module
updates that are inconflict with current releases. That script isn't
something I recommend doing lightly, but it can be invaluable when RPM
gets really mucked up, for any reason.