Re: Fedora 28 Change Checkpoint: 100% Code Complete Deadline & Beta Freeze

Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> Intuitively, I completely agree with you. I want to have a last warning
> that I need to hurry up and land my changes before I miss my window.
>
> But when I think about it further, I have other thoughts too. The schedule
> is public and anyone can look it up at will, so it's not as if this is the
> only warning they see. And there's actually net value to the Project as a
> whole to *not* give the 24-hour warning. We've always had a high incidence
> of mass changes arriving in the last 24-48 hours before each Freeze, which
> generally translates into instability for a few days because people see it
> as their last chance and land stuff that isn't ready. So I can actually
> see an argument for *not* widely encouraging more people to land stuff at
> the last minute.
>
> We also do have the one-week notice the Tuesday before, which is probably
> our best option; we should continue encourage people to land in the week
> before Freeze and try to work out the instabilities beforehand.

I was not really talking about the announcements (though having a warning
BEFORE it is too late would be nice, indeed), but about the dates listed in
the table on the wiki.

Right now, they say what amounts to:

2018-03-06   Beta Freeze (*)

(*) You won't actually have even one second on the listed day to do your
    change in. You should have done it yesterday. Ha ha, fooled you! And of
    course there are no exceptions (unless the change qualifies as a Blocker
    or Freeze Exception) because it's all your fault that you have not read
    the fine print, so get lost!

Not that it really matters for me this time because the only change I would
have liked to land is not ready today either. (Falkon was only released by
upstream last week, and my package is still stuck in the review process.)
But still, the misleading freeze dates make me angry each time.

Compare with, e.g.:
https://community.kde.org/Schedules/Applications/18.04_Release_Schedule

Fedora:
> Beta and Final freezes are in effect from 00:00 UTC of the freeze day.

KDE:
> All deadlines are due 23:59 UTC, but if you need a few more hours, notify
> someone from the release team.

So not only do they put the actual last day in the table rather than the day
it's already too late, but they also allow for extension requests in the
hours range.

        Kevin Kofler