Re: systemd 238 and sysusers

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 05:16:36PM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> ZJ> - various transfiletriggers have been ported from Mageia, for the
> ZJ>   udev hwdb and rules, the journal catalog, sysctl.d, binfmt.d,
> ZJ>   sysusers.d, and tmpfiles.d. This means that for many packages,
> ZJ>   which do not need those rules to be applied immediately,
> ZJ>   scriptlets can be totally removed.
>
> So, could you possibly give the packaging committee a heads up as soon
> as possible?  Preferably like a few days ago?
>
> ZJ> - somewhat independently, systemd-sysusers has been beefed up so it
> ZJ>   is possible to use it to create system users before any files are
> ZJ>   installed on disk, but honouring admin overrides. In short, we now
> ZJ>   recommend the following invocation to create users for an rpm
> ZJ>   which contains files owned by those users:
>
> ZJ>     %sysusers_create_package %{name} %SOURCEN
>
> But the packaging guidelines _don't_ recommend that.  And they won't
> until someone gives us a heads up.  Please don't ask folks to change
> their packages before you've even given the packaging committee a chance
> to change the guidelines.

Hi,

I was speaking with my upstream hat on, not trying to suggest
immediate changes to packaging in Fedora. I'm aware the guidelines
recommend getent/useradd calls right now. There are some idea to change
this, but my mail wasn't supposed to start that process. I hope this
will be discussed for F29, in due time.

Sorry, I should have written this like "If you were to use
systemd-sysusers to create users for an rpm, we would recommend ...".

Zbyszek