Re: Compile Fedora with auto-vectorization

On 03/05/2018 12:58 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 12:07:40PM +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
Should we start compiling Fedora with auto-vectorization, either
using -O3 or -O2 -ftree-loop-vectorize?

What's the performance impact?

You mean, on build time? Difficult to tell. Simple things like Lua do not show build time change with -O3.

We didn't observe a substantial reduction in overall build time when we switched Fedora glibc from -O3 to -O2 because build time is mostly dominated by testing anyway (and discounting testing, a lot of time is spent in make).

For run-time impact, the performance changes you'd observe depend on whether you pick a benchmark which happens to be vectorized or not.

What are the risks?

The usual. Different compiler bugs. Additional warnings (both true positives and false positives) which break -Werror builds.

Furthermore, -O3 slightly changes ABI because it enables -finline-functions, which can break symbol interposition. That's why -O2 -ftree-loop-vectorize -ftree-slp-vectorize might be the better choice, perhaps with other bits from -O3.

Thanks,
Florian