Re: Unannounced soname bump (Rawhide): qpdf (libqpdf.so.18 -> libqpdf.so.21)

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 09:53:19AM -0700, stan wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:04:41 -0500
> "Jared K. Smith" <jsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > ... Even if we didn't have
> > this rule, it would be common courtesy to announce any change that
> > causes others to have to do work, even if it's only for a few users.
>
> What about an email list called fedora-soname-bump.  If you are going
> to do a soname bump, you send an email to that list with the library in
> the subject line.  Maybe, if it isn't a lot of work to find them, the
> dependent packages are in the body of the message.
>
> Subscription is voluntary, so if someone likes surprises, they don't
> subscribe.  But everybody sends their soname changes to the list,
> subscribed or not.

I don't want to be notified about any random so-name bump. That'd be
mostly noise. But I *do* want to be notified about the ones that
matter for packages that I maintain. So, the right solution imho is
to write to fedora-devel and include the relevant maintainers in cc.

Zbyszek