Re: News in net-snmp package

On 27 February 2018 at 14:02, Josef Ridky <jridky@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I would like to inform you, that net-snmp package will use Python3 package instead of Python2.
> With this change, python2-net-snmp package will be renamed to python3-net-snmp package.
> This change will be applied in Fedora Rawhide and Fedora 28.
>
> I would be glad for any feedback.

The last %changelog entry:

* Tue Feb 27 2018 Josef Ridky <jridky@xxxxxxxxxx> - 1:5.7.3-35
- compile against Python3
- add gcc requirement
- remove rm buildroot

And below is preamble of the devel subpackage:

%package devel
Requires: %{name}-libs%{?_isa} = %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}
Requires: %{name}-agent-libs%{?_isa} = %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}
Requires: elfutils-devel, rpm-devel, elfutils-libelf-devel, openssl-devel
%ifnarch s390 s390x ppc64le
Requires: lm_sensors-devel
%endif
# pull perl development libraries, net-snmp agent libraries may link to them
Requires: perl-devel%{?_isa}, gcc

Comments:
1) on top of not used elfutils-devel, rpm-devel,
elfutils-libelf-devel, lm_sensors-devel and perl-devel Requires now is
added gcc (??? why?)

All those Requires should be removed (only openssl-devel should be left).
net-snmp libraries are linked with elfutils, rpm, elfutils-libelf and
lm_sensors libraries but id does not mean that any package which is
using net-snmp client libraries will need any of those packages during
compile or linking (look my PR below).

2) perl subpackage has redundant BuildRequires:

BuildRequires: perl-interpreter

# dnf -qC repoquery --whatrequires perl-interpreter | grep perl-devel
mod_perl-devel-0:2.0.10-6.fc27.x86_64
perl-devel-4:5.26.1-408.fc28.i686
perl-devel-4:5.26.1-408.fc28.x86_64

It was easy to lose this redundant BR as now all BRs are not in one place.

3) pie patch is no longer needed as -pie is now part of the default
linker options injected by /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld

$ cat /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld
*self_spec:
+ %{!static:%{!shared:%{!r:-pie}}}         <<<<< *here*

*link:
+ -z now

As you see here is as well "-z now" so adding to LDFLAGS in spec
"-Wl,-z,now" is redundant as well (look on my PR)
As pie patch will be removed it is possible to simplify %prep using
%autosetup (look below PR)

4) there are many smaller cleanups rejected as part of the
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/net-snmp/pull-request/2 (list is
really long) like using in .gz suffix in man pages %files entries
which are still not included (for unknown reasons).
For example, adding -D_RPM_4_4_COMPAT to CFLAGS is only generating
from more than 2-3 years a lot of warnings about redefinition this
define.

>From the last net-snmp build log:

$ curl --silent
https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org//packages/net-snmp/5.7.3/35.fc28/data/logs/x86_64/build.log
| grep -c 'warning: "_RPM_4_4_COMPAT" redefined'
357

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH