Re: News in net-snmp package

Hi thanks a lot for your review.

| On Tue, 2018-02-27 at 09:02 -0500, Josef Ridky wrote:
| > Hi folks,
| >
| > I would like to inform you, that net-snmp package will use Python3 package
| > instead of Python2.
| > With this change, python2-net-snmp package will be renamed to
| > python3-net-snmp package.
| > This change will be applied in Fedora Rawhide and Fedora 28.
| >
| > I would be glad for any feedback.
|
| This sounds a bit odd. What do you mean by 'renamed', exactly? It's not
| as if you can just have python3-net-snmp provide and obsolete python2-
| net-snmp ; any dependency which actually needs the python2 one is not
| going to keep working with this change.
|
| Do you just mean the python2-net-snmp package will go away and anything
| using it has to migrate to python3-net-snmp? If so, have you actually
| looked at the things that use it and considered how difficult it will
| be to migrate them?

Yes, python2-net-snmp will no longer be delivered and anyone, that want to use it as dependency, have to use Python3.
Right now, I didn't find any package (based on dnf repoquery), that require python2-net-snmp package, so this change should be harmless.

| I see, for instance, '389-ds-base-owner' CCed on this mail; if 389-ds-
| base depends on python2-net-snmp it is not at all going to be
| acceptable to just throw it away without regards to whether 389-ds-base
| can reasonably migrate to python3 right now. That is a core component
| of one of our release-blocking deliverables, Fedora Server.

This package depends on net-snmp-devel, not python2-net-snmp. Anyway 389-ds-base package already use Python3, so even this change shouldn't cause any inconveniences.
Josef