Re: fedora28 and strong crypto settings

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
regarding the strong crypto change in Fedora28 [0], we have identified
few (usually internal) sites which break under firefox or other tools.
The main reason for this breakage is that these sites only support
Diffie-Hellman with 1024-bit parameters which are considered too weak
by this change.

Setting up a unified distro-wide crypto policy was a Good Thing, but we have to use it responsibly. Unfortunately, I don't think it's practical for Fedora to increase the minimum required Diffie-Hellman parameter size to 2048 until either Firefox or Chrome has done so first. Users are just going to object that they can't use Fedora to access various important websites, and those important websites will never be fixed so long as they're only broken for Fedora users. We should consider ourselves at the mercy of the major browser vendors to implement new restrictions before we do. It's a shame that major browsers are so unwilling to break websites, even when it's clearly important for security, but that's the world we live in. :/

Alternatively, if you want to strengthen the system crypto policy, then it should not apply to web browsers at all. Or web browsers should automatically use the weak policy. (We'd need the weak policy in glib-networking, too.)

Michael