Re: Using LTO for Fedora package builds

On 25 February 2018 at 12:30, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> >systemd would like to use it.
>>
>> Why?  What are the benefits?
>
> There's a small change in size. When I tested recently it was ~7%, but
> it was higher in the past. Fedora builds usually enable almost all optional
> code, but if some parts are disabled (which happens also in RHEL), I think
> the gains are bigger.
>
> Apart from that, we hope the code is faster, which is the usual
> motivation for flto.

BTW size. Did you try to compile systemd with optimisation for size (-Os)?

There are many Linux packages which should be optimised for size
because they provide binaries which are speed critical like boot
loaders and boot tools (grub, lilo, gubby) some diagnostics and system
tools (dmidecode, strace, parted, shadow-utils, util-linux, lvm, mdadm
..)
In many cases optimisations for size provides faster code at it has
lower probability generate CPU cache misses.

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH