Re: to batch or not to batch?

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 3:15 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
<zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did I miss something on the plus or minus side? Or some good statistics?

I thought that was a pretty good summary of the ups and downs.  Thank
you for that.  I have no statistics.  But you also asked for anecdotal
evidence, and I've got that in spades. :-)

> Does patching make Fedora seem more approachable to end-users?

Not this end-user.  A little over 2 decades ago (good grief, am I
really that old?) I installed Linux for the first time.  It was
Slackware.  But then, in grad school, I was doing some cutting edge
work that required cutting edge tools, and Slackware didn't have new
enough versions of the tools I needed.  I went looking for a new
distribution, and everybody said that if I wanted the latest stuff, I
should install RedHat, so I did.  That was RedHat 4.2, and I updated
to every release of RedHat thereafter, and followed up by migrating to
Fedora when that transition took place.  Every version of Fedora since
then has run on at least one machine under my care, and often multiple
machines.

I came to RedHat/Fedora in the first place because it had the latest
shiny stuff.  That's the draw of Fedora for me.

> Do the benefits of batching outweigh the downsides?

Not for me, they don't.  I'm willing to believe that they do for some
users, but I frankly don't know which users that would be.  Perhaps
those with limited bandwidth?

> Should we keep batching as an interim measure until delta downloads are implemented?

I'm indifferent on this one.  I find batching to be more annoying than
otherwise, but if it helps with server load and mirroring then I guess
I can't complain too loudly.

> Should dnf offer smart batched updates like gnome-software?

That seems reasonable, as long as there is a way to override it.

> Should we encourage maintainers to allow their updates to be batched?

The answer to this question must depend on the answers to the previous
questions.  I'll give you my personal experience again.  I've been
letting my updates go out with the batched updates.  I don't like it,
though.  The packages I tend get karma very, very rarely.  Almost
always, the only testing those packages get prior to going out to the
wide world is the testing I do before running fedpkg build.  So they
already have to pointlessly sit in testing for 7 days, getting no
actual testing, and then they have to wait up to another week to go
out.  If I'm fixing actual bugs, then all that accomplished was to
increase the probability that yet another user will run afoul of the
bug that I already fixed.

Bottom line: I don't like batching as either an end-user or as a
package maintainer, but I'm willing to put up with it if that is what
the project as a whole needs.

Regards,
--
Jerry James