Re: RFC: BugURL in packages

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 6:03 AM, Fabio Valentini <decathorpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 2018 11:52, "Pierre-Yves Chibon" <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 11:22:27AM +0100, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> it's been just 9 years since BugURL has been added to RPM, but it has not
>> been
>> used.
>>
>> I think it would be helpful for users to have it defined in RPMs, so when
>> they
>> do `dnf info`, `rpm -qi` they would just click on it and it would select
>> right
>> component, right version and such for it.
>>
>> Do you think same way? If so, which URL should we put there?
>
> I think bugz.fedoraproject.org/<package name> is potentially a good url to
> use
> for this.
>

> Linking to fedora bugzilla was my first "instinct". However, it is
> completely redundant and doesn't add any new information to the package,
> since it's the same URL for every package in fedora. Additionally, such URLs
> don't even work right now (certificate errors and 404s, at least for me).
>
> In contrast, adding a link to upstream bug tracking (which is actually
> different everywhere) would provide useful additional  information.

I'd argue otherwise. Generally speaking, bugs related to packages
should absolutely be filed with Fedora. It is the maintainer who must
judge whether it's something Fedora caused or upstream caused, and
file the appropriate bug there. We are the stewards of the experience
in Fedora, so we get first dibs on bug reports, too. ;)