Re: Removal of BuildRoot

On 16 February 2018 at 03:14, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> LT> When you get a chance, would you also update the spec guideline as
>> LT> well?
>>
>> Which spec guideline did you mean?  If you were referring to the
>> packaging guidelines, they have said that BuildRoot: should not be used
>> since 2016:
>>
>> The BuildRoot: tag, Group: tag, and %clean section SHOULD NOT be used.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Tags_and_Sections
>>
>>  - J<
>
> While RHEL 5 is obsolete, that does not mean EPEL 5 is obsolete. Are
> there any EPEL tools that are identical to the upstream Fedora
> releases, that might still use any of htese for legacy environments?

Speaking with my EPSCO hat on.

EPEL-5 was End of Lifed when RHEL-5 was considered end of normal life.
As such it was archived to /pub/archives/epel and koji will no longer
compose builds for it. Keeping EPEL-5 in the main SRPMs is the
equivalent of keeping Fedora 6 in main spec files.

Even before EPEL-5 was EOL, very little of Fedora would compile out of
the box and required massive amounts of %if and other hacks to even
try to compile from a rawhide spec file.

If someone wanted to keep compiling for EL-5 they should branch the
code themselves and maintain it as such versus trying to keep the
cruft in the main tree. I believe that is what arbitrary branching is
for.

Stephen J Smoogen.