Changing config from a %post?

The imapproxy package config defaults to user "nobody", which should be
changed (probably should have been done a while back, but whatever).
The user is set in the config though, and the config has to be edited
for the package to work (to at least set the upstream IMAP server), so
changing the packaged config will only result in a .rpmnew file.

What's the proper way to fix this?  I can update the package to create a
user and use it in the default config, but is it correct to have a %post
that changes the existing config (something like a "sed -i")?

I'd also like to switch it from running in daemon mode to foreground
mode (and change the systemd unit to match), but again, that requires
editing the config; there's no command-line option for either of these.

I'm not sure of the "best practice" here... as a system admin, it feels
wrong to have RPM scriptlets editing config, but I don't see another way
forward, short of modifying the program to accept command-line overrides
for these options (which has its own "fun").

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>