Re: [HEADS UP] Replacing %post/%postun -p /sbin/ldconfig

> Determinism level is about level of *variations* of the results on
> repeating the same operations starting from exactly the same initial state.
> Executing ldconfig after each package libraries installation/upgrade or
> executing the same ldconfig only one time after install/upgrade libraries
> batch still produces *exactly* the same final result. It does not change
> anything in context of reliability as well.

The fact that ldconfig is being executed by an arbitrary, user-written shell script is exactly what makes it non-introspectable and non-deterministic. Running %post -p /sbin/ldconfig is the most common case, but it might also be part of a larger %post/%postun script. It might be in a conditional. It might be expanded from another macro. It might be executed by a helper script. It might be executed from lua. And since shell (and lua) is a turing complete language, and since on top of that the scripts can be modified by arbitrary macros that can only be evaluated by executing every shell script embedded in a spec file, it's impossible to look at a spec file and determine exactly what it is doing, and exactly what it is doing is dependent upon the environment.

Can we maybe step back and give other developers the benefit of the doubt instead of immediately attacking an attempt to provide information? This is really unnecessarily hostile.