Re: glibc, riscv64, multilib, /lib64 etc

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 02:03:08PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> It looks as if upstream RISC-V / glibc teams settled on some exciting
> new paths to use for libc.so.6:
>
>   https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-01/msg00969.html
>
> In short, on normal 64 bit hardware which is all we really care about,
> it'll use /lib64/lp64d/libc.so.6.
>
> For Fedora we've settled on supporting only RV64GC as a baseline,
> which means we don't care about hardware which lacks floating point,
> nor 32 bit-only hardware since that is likely to be embedded and too
> small to run Linux (32 bit embedded hardware is best served by
> cross-compilers).  Also because this is a new architecture there is no
> legacy of 32 bit binaries that we need to run.
>
> It's possible to change this by building glibc with
>
>   ./configure --libdir=/lib64 [etc]
>
> but it seems that /lib64/lp64d/ is still the default search path
> (/lib64 is not searched) even when configuring it like that, so it's a
> bit broken.
>
> The question is how does this impact Fedora?  I'm fairly sure we
> don't want to change most libraries so they put stuff in /lib64/lp64d/
> nor do we want to change %{_libdir} on this one architecture.
>
> We could do a downstream patch.
>
> We could try to change upstream, but this is all now burned into the
> glibc 2.27 ABI so it's a bit complicated.
>
> It's possible to use /usr/lib only on riscv64 (isn't that how s390x
> works too)?
>
> Any thoughts?

Two other options omitted from this email are:

Add a symlink from /usr/lib64/lp64d -> /usr/lib64, mentioned a few
times in this thread.

Or when building glibc, use:

  ./configure --libdir=/usr/lib64 libc_cv_slibdir=/usr/lib64 libc_cv_rtlddir=/usr/lib64

which seems to be sufficent to override the default path choices,
although maybe not completely.

Rich.